FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

How to negotiate a hospital bill to a reasonable fee that I

Customer Question

How to negotiate a hospital bill to a reasonable fee that I can actually pay?
Is there a way I can handle this so the hospital does not send me to collections and I don’t get my credit affected?
Signed paperwork in Emergency Room never dreaming I would be signing to owe more than I could have imagined. 11 thousand dollars for the below scenario.
Hurt brow bone, was scared I was in pain. Told them no cat scan. They said I had to do it. I said then do an X-ray, they said no we can’t. I kept telling them I did not think I was hurt badly. I was in too much pain to argue or focus on what to do next.
Doctor said you may have a detached eyeball when I asked him why I had to have a cat scan. He then had me move my eye up and down. He then did two small stitches. Then I realized they were just trying to do what did not need to be done. Hindsight , I didn’t even need stitches at all.
I said there is nothing wrong with my eye, I hurt the brow area. Asked me what pain I was in on scale of 1 to 10. Said only 5 or 6, not that bad. I told them that two times. Someone gave me 2 percoset pain pills, ( I did request pain pill), that I did not see, as I had my eyes shut, and they put them in my mouth. They were soft fast dissolving so I did not try to spit out. I was trying not to choke on them as they gave me ice chip water and I could not swallow the water well enough because of the ice. By time I left I was very sick throwing up. They had overmedicated me.
I left when my ride came, feeling taken advantage of ,and was so sick I could not function.
How do I handle this so they will reduce the bill to a SMALL fee I can actually PAY.
I have temporary insurance that has a 5 thousand deductible for 6 months.
The government health care site had not hooked up with and recognized my prior heath care insurance, so I decided to cancel it and look for new insurance. Meanwhile I had gotten the 5 grand deductible temporary insurance.
The insurance co says I don’t have to file, of course. What happened to me was not even worth 5 thousand dollars. In my wildest dreams I thought I would be able to pay an emergency visit and put it towards my deductible, which is why I went into the ER and signed the paperwork.
Thanks, Karen
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.
Yes, there is. I have done this in the past myself. You want to call the hospital and speak with someone about the bill and advise them of any financial hardships which you may be facing. You can ask if they can reduce/ discount the bill and see how they respond. Then, you can ask for a payment plan and advise them of how much you can pay a month. As long as you pay as agreed they should not send you to collections or anything like that and will be alright.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
See how they respond ??? , does not help me whatsoever.
I said that because you can not force them to accept your offer / proposal so you can make it and see how they respond. By that I mean a counter offer and if they are willing to work with you and accept your proposal. You can not just say something and force them to accept it so you need to see how they respond and their position.