Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

Good evening, My husband and his ex-girlfriend have always

Customer Question

Good evening,
My husband and his ex-girlfriend have always had 50/50 physical custody of their son. For the last school year he has resided with his mom during the school week, and we see him every other weekend. This is due to the fact that his school is 27 miles away. My husband wants to change his school to the assigned school in our area. The boy's mother is refusing to even sit down and meet to discuss the issue. What should my husband do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My husband wants to change his son's school, but the boy's mom refuses to discuss the matter. Is he able to change schools without her agreeing to it? They have never gone to court over custody, so there is no custody agreement.
Thank you for your follow up.Generally, if the child custody was not ordered by the court and paternity was never officially established for the father, then the mother would generally be considered to have sole legal and physical custody of the child and if the mother doesn't consent to any type of decision related to the minor child, then a petition to establish child custody / visitation would have to be filed in the local family court and the judge will review the petition and will decide as to how the custody and visitation should be established, based on the law and what will be in the best interest of the minor child.I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.