Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am divorced and share custody of my two boys 5 and 7 years

Customer Question

I am divorced and share custody of my two boys 5 and 7 years old. I have a close relationship with them. My ex wife has primary custody. We live in Denver, CO. I had to relocate to Santa Rosa, CA for work. I am very concerned about getting ample time with my sons. My ex is not letting them communicate with me and is not letting me see them. I am willing to keep a place in Denver and fly back every two weeks to keep them for the weekend (as consistently as I possibly can with work). I would also like the ability to bring them to California and spend time with me while they are not in school. We have always had a flexible and agreeable relationship up until this point. I wouldn't move away if I didn't have to, but in order to grow my career and remain financially viable, I have no choice but to move. I just want to be a constant part of their lives. I am not trying to take them away. I desperately need help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Since your circumstances have changed, you have the right to seek a modification of the current visitation schedule and seek reasonable visitation based on the distance you are from the children.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where do I start? How do I do that?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
The judge shouldn't hold it against you that you had to move for work....and if you've always been involved in your children's lives, the court will award you for that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I talk to an attorney in California or Colorado?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Usually, with long distance visitation, the number of visits is less, but they're longer in duration.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
You'd need to file a petition to modify visitation with the court in Colorado for the country where the children live.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
You would also need help from a Colorado lawyer as you'll be dealing with Colorado law in a Colorado court.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I'll look for an attorney in Colorado
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
But, once you file a petition for visitation or to modify visitation, the court should advise you and the mother to try and reach an agreement on visitation.....and if you can't, the judge will consider the matter and order what he/ she believes is in the best interest of the children.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Good luck and please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Hi - please remember to take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
...