Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

How do you do stand by guardianship in Wisconsin

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I have to have the fathers signature
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A standby guardian is one appointed by the court who would take over in the event the originally appointed guardian can no longer continue with their duties. In order to get a standby (successor) guardian appointed, you must file a motion in the original guardianship case and the motion is a motion to appoint standby guardian. So, you have to file a motion in court to ask the court to appoint a standby or substitute guardian to take over in the event that this primary guardian can no longer perform or no longer wants to perform.
When you file the motion, if the other guardian agrees, then filing a joint motion to appoint standby guardian would mean the court would not have to hold a hearing.