LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

My son lives with his father, and with me the 1st, 3rd, 4th

Customer Question

My son lives with his father, and with me the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th (if applies) weekend if the month. I am planning on moving out of state. How much time am I entitled to have my son with me? I would like to ask for the full summer, or maybe 1 full summer on even years, and 1/2 summer on the odd years. Am I asking for too much?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon Karina,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. It is unlikely that the court will grant you the entire summer. To get that, you would most likely have to reach such an agreement with your ex and then have it approved by the court. You will be entitled to typical visitation periods for out of state parents. Those time include alternating major holidays and breaks from school as well as a long period of time in the summer---typically 4 to 6 weeks. If you anticipate being able to come back to CA periodically for visitation, the court will also grant you additional visitation time in-state that does not require your child to travel a great distance. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug