Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

I have a child support order which was entered in WA in

Customer Question

I have a child support order which was entered in WA in 2011. I have lived in FL since 2012. My ex husband has defaulted on his child support payment, but I don't know how to have the order enforced. Do I need to file for enforcement in WA or can I do it in FL? Also, I am looking to have our parenting plan which was also done in WA updated per a series of recent events. Do I also have to do that in WA or is there a way to have both orders moved to FL so any future issues can be addressed in FL?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 months ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.You can talk to the clerk of the court in WA where your current orders for support and your parenting plan have been issued and request a Transfer Form. Fill out the form completely explaining why it is in the child's best interest to have Florida take over the matter. Once the court agrees to that, the matter can be moved to your county in Florida. Be sure to note in the transfer request that you have lived in Florida for at least 6 months and that it is now the child's home state.You will need to have the Father served and he can oppose the move. A hearing will be set where you can appear possibly by telephone and explain to the court why your Motion is important to the child's best interest.
If the court does not feel the matter should be moved, then you will need to file your contempt with the WA courts and child support enforcement can assist you in collecting your child's support money from the Father
Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.