Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

My sister has been trying to get a divorce years. Her

Customer Question

My sister has been trying to get a divorce for 5 years. Her husband abandoned her and pays for nothing. she does not have enough money to pay a lawyer to finalize the divorce- what are her options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.She basically has three options. First, she can attempt to finalize the divorce on her own. There is no requirement that she have a lawyer. If she doesn't want to try to do it on her own, she can apply for free or reduced cost legal assistance. Here is a list of some of the legal aid groups in Pennsylvania that she may be able to contact and get some help. Keep in mind, however, that she must have income low enough to qualify, so there is no guarantee that she can get free help. Third, she can contact an attorney and work out a payment plan. Most family attorneys will allow a person to make monthly payments based on what they can afford. I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Chris,
We all are tapped out on loaning her money and her lawyer, I feel is not doing her job!
I wish I lived closer to help -- but I am in Charlotte, NC
I told her that has to be some type of law-- if his lawyer or he has not contacted your lawyer in a certain amount of time-- The divorce should be terminated. 5 years is a long time for him to have up and left and no responsibility helping with any bills/ mortgage. Throw his crap out and sell the house and move on-- no Kids involved.
But I am not a lawyer-- so thank you for your advice. It is an unfortunate situation.
At this point, it should be a fairly easy process, as it is an uncontested divorce. My suggestion is that she first look into doing it herself. Here is some information to get her started. http://www.pacourts.us/learn/representing-yourselfhttp://www.completecase.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=divorce%20form&utm_campaign=113779380&utm_matchtype=p&utm_group=18620797620&gclid=Cj0KEQjwosK4BRCYhsngx4_SybcBEiQAowaCJTTsdtBC2p3_NhY1_-6fKCgib7wNbybBzkBl7tcnMsYaAlIk8P8HAQIf doing it herself seems too daunting for her, she can try the pro bono route.
I hope that answers your question. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you- I sent the info to my other sister to talk with her about things -- so we can all move forward.
You have been very helpful.
Lori
Glad to help. Please do remember to "Rate" my answer using the set of stars above.