LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney

My child is 22 just became a mom and going to collage. am i

Customer Question

my child is 22 just became a mom and going to collage. am i obligated to pay for her health insurance and school. a court order was issued in 2004 that i have too, is there a age where this ends
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 6 months ago.
A few minutes please as I look into this.
In 2012, the legislature ordered the child support obligation (and add ons such as medical expenses, etc) to be authorized until age 19 versus the prior age of 21. if the prior order allowed for support to continue through college, then that order is still binding, unless modified.Typically, when an adult child has a child, they are considered legally emancipated; however, one must still petition the court for an order of termination in order to cease the obligation. Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site: you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly--- Rate Positively---so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!