Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in Alaska, me and my wife been married .5 years,

Customer Question

Hi I live in Alaska, me and my wife been married for 4.5 years, the last month didn't get along.
I got a loan in my name with a bank with an account just in my name and bought a house last week, she doesn't know yet, we are still renting an apartment. Now she tries to apply for divorce or dissolution.
My question is when we are gonna do the dissolution or divorce what's gonna happen with the house I'm gonna lose it or not.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating. Alaska is a community property state which means that likely the house will be owned jointly by the two of you since it was purchased during the marriage. Does that make sense? Is there anything else I can clarify for you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How much likely ?? Even its only in my name and the loan its in my name ? How can be jointly owned if we're getting a divorce ?
It's jointly owned *until* you get divorced. Presumably marital resources were used to purchase the house and you chose to buy it without your wife's knowledge which is not really permissible while you're married, in the eyes of a court anyway. I'd like to tell you the house is all yours but that simply would not be the truth. I hope that makes sense. If there's anything you need me to clarify, I would be happy to.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I understand. So the only way I can keep the house is to file for dissolution and there we should both agree that I keep the house ??? Or there's other ways I can keep the house??
There's a couple of ways you could keep the house: 1. If the two of you agree to it, likely in exchange for other property that she gets to keep. OR 2. If the court grants you that house, again likely in exchange for other property your ex gets to keep. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok like I said I bought the house a week ago but 2 weeks ago she starting cheating on me how does this affect the divorce or me keeping the house ?
So, the cheating is another topic (and separate question) and I'll be happy to discuss that with you as well under this question thread if you're willing to provide a rating at this point.
Hello. I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.