Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Is there a disadvantage to bifurcation? My husband and I agree

Customer Question

Is there a disadvantage to bifurcation? My husband and I agree to divorce but don't want to settle the financial settlement till our son graduates from High School in June 2017.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We both have W2 incomes. He makes 7x more than I do. We have a home and some retirement accounts. No hidden assets.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The advantages of bifurcation is that the divorce is completed, meaning you can remarry. The Court will decide on division of assets later on. The disadvantages is that with bifurcation, someone in your situation will have to go back to Court again. This means basically two different lawsuits. This can be emotionally financially draining and time consuming. Also note that if you bifurcate, you will lose the ability to file a joint tax return and the financial advantages that come with it. Ultimately it is up to the parties to decide, of course. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.