Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

I feel my ex is abusive. How do I file custody of

Customer Question

I feel my ex is abusive. How do I file for sole custody of our kids?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello Teri. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.In order to file for custody, you need to go to the family court in your county. I would encourage you to ask the court for a packet of motion materials for pro se litigants, If you are unrepresented. There will be instructions which will allow you to complete the motion paperwork, file it with the court, and serve it on the other party. If you are unable to find the information you are looking for in the packet I would be happy to help you. In order to make a determination regarding custody a judge would look at how circumstances have changed since the prior court order regarding custody was entered – if there is a prior court order, and also what is in the best interests of the children. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Hello. I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.