Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

A GAL was appointed in our child custody case. My attorney

Customer Question

A GAL was appointed in our child custody case. My attorney told me she is working directly with my ex's attorney and said it was blatant while in chambers. After a custody psych evaluation that stated there should be no change of custody, the GAL went against the forensic psych evaluation. I have recently found the GAL has a criminal conviction in another state where she was a police officer. She falsified documents and lied under oath before applying to law school. Is this reason enough to have her rescinded?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Nolan v Nolan Rule 48. She only met our children once, never spoke to outside sources including school staff or doctors.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
If the GAL is biased and is not following the rules, you can petition the Court to have her removed. The GAL supposed to be working in the best interests of the child and not for any of the parents. However, the GAL's prior conduct not relating to the case at hand will not be the reason for her removal. So, her criminal conviction in another state, her falsification of documents and lying under oath before applying to law school will not be used to remove her as the GAL in your case. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.