Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I'm currently living in china (residency permit). I want to

Customer Question

,I'm currently living in china (residency permit). I want to marry a vietnamese woman (no residency in china). what would be the best and quickest way to go about this and get her a visa to come to the usa? I've considered marrying her here in china--is that a wise decision, or how else can this be done, and how long will it take to get the visa? If we marry in china, will the gov't of vietnam recognize the marriage?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The quickest way for her to come to USA would be to marry her (be it in China or Vietnam or anywhere else) provided that the marriage is genuine. Normally, China and Vietnam will recognize a marriage in the other country provided the country itself recognizes it and it is done legally. More importantly, USA will recognize a marriage in EITHER China or Vietnam provided it is recognized locally there. Once there is a marriage, then one can file for an I-130 for her, which is petition for an alien relative. See HERE. Once this is done, the wait is about six months. For the full process, see HERE. You can stay abroad with her while the I-130 is pending. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.