Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My Mother died January 5, 2016. The money she had left was

Customer Question

My Mother died January 5, 2016. The money she had left was to go to my brother, my children and myself. My question: My brother has not been heard from in 3 years and we have not been able to contact him in that length of time either. His part of our Mother's money was sent to him by Registered/Return Receipt Requested mail. It was not deliverable due to the fact the Postman could not get him to answer the door. Notices were left and he did not pick up the envelope and it was returned. What should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
At this point you must hold the money in an escrow account or trust account for him, since he cannot be located and you must continue to try to locate him. If after 3 years you cannot find him, you need to go to the court again and get a court order to disburse the money to the other heirs or to have the court hold it for him or his heirs in trust. You cannot just keep the money because he can come back and sue you for the money if he reappears and you would have to give him the money.