Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My husband was previously married and 34 years ago divorced

Customer Question

My husband was previously married and 34 years ago divorced his ex wife.
He agreed to give her the marital home as part of divorce agreement. His lawyer, for unknown reasons did not inform him he had to sign off on the original deed. We have been married for 33 years and my husband developed Alzheimers Disease and is in a memory care facility. This past November he received a letter from a lawyer demanding that now ,after 34 years he sign off. As I have DPOA I am expected to do this. Aparantly, the lawyer for his ex wife and his ex wife did not want his name removed until now and he is liable for any liens on a 50% basis as joint owner. I feel I want to bring an ethics complaint for this action as his lawyer was well paid and did not represent his interests for 34 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Have you demanded, in exchange for the deed, an indemnification for any liens on the property for which your husband may be liable?