ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can you add a child on deed when other child is already on

Customer Question

Can you add a child on deed when other child is already on deed? And will child that is on deed have to be involved?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. It depends on how the property is held. That is, if you have the property in your name and the other child's name (as half owners each) then you can "add" another child up to your interest alone. In other words, you can only give what you have. You can't bind another owner to give anything that he/she owns. To add another child so that you all have equal ownership interests would require the consent of all the present owners of the property, which means that the other child (the one who's name is ***** ***** the deed) would have to agree. As a practical matter one doesn't "add" a name to a deed. That's an archaic term from back when the deed itself was the evidence of ownership. Now a deed is filed with the county land records, so to give someone an interest in property you would need to give a "quitclaim deed" (or some other deed) to that property. You could quitclaim less than your full interest, so you do add them to the title of the property. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?2
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!