FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

My child's mother moved from our home state of California to

Customer Question

My child's mother moved from our home state of California to Nevada I also later moved to Nevada can a child support case from California to New relocated to Nevada jurisdiction and can case in california be closed
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. California courts will defer to another state even if the case was started here, in those situations where the other state has home state jurisdiction. The words “home state” within the context of California child custody jurisdiction law means the state where the child has lived with either the parent or the person who is acting as a parent for a minimum of six consecutive months immediately before the custody proceeding has started. As such, if you both have been in Nevada for more then 6 months, you can file and have it heard and handled there as it would make no sense for both parties to have to travel back to CA, where neither reside.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!