Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My ex .f. and I got married in Canada in 2002 quick wedding,

Customer Question

My ex b.f. and I got married in Canada in 2002 quick wedding, then back to USA, live separate lives, filed taxes as single and me head of household with my 2 kids. No assets or record filed as husband and wife. I met someone and married here in FL. My ex b.f. want me to sign a divorce paper. (He was aware and gave me permission to marry since we never really live as husband/wife.). I told my current husband this scary situation and he understood it. Will I be charge of bigamy by the state of FL? Or should I sign this divorce paper? or should I divorce my current husband first? please advice
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Your second marriage is voidable. A bigamous marriage is grounds for annullment. It is not likely you will be charged criminally since there was no intent to defraud anyone, but you need to divorce the first husband and then remarry the second.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Are you still online with me?