LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

What rights do I have if the parents of my granddaughter for

Customer Question

What rights do I have if the parents of my granddaughter for which I am guardian to, up and move out of my residence without prior notification of new residence with granddaughter.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. Did a court give you legal guardianship?2. Are you saying that the parents took their daughter and relocated from your home to a new residence?Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. Yes the court gave me guardianship both parents signed the paperwork and all was summited to the court system
2. Yes they have been having someone come in to move what stuff they had there and was taking it somewhere else. Granddaughter said something to me Saturday about new home and that's where I asked my daughter about it and she basically blew me off. My main concern is the well being of my granddaughter.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Hi Ed, As the legal guardian of your granddaughter, you have the right to dictate where she resides and you may demand of the parents that she reside with you if that is what you want. If the parents will not cooperate you should call the police and file a child stealing report with them and show them your legal guardianship papers and they can force the parents to return your granddaughter to you. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug