FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

How do I get child support extended. My daughter just turned

Customer Question

how do I get child support extended. My daughter just turned 18 and is about to go to college. can I get that extended in the state of VA.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Support can only be extended through court order and if the obligation of the other parent is soon to terminate, you would need to show good cause as to why it should be extended and continued. Her going to college is not a basis for the judge to simply extend it and if the intent was for the other parent to pay for college, it would have been previously ordered. Now, if there was a situation where there was a disability it may change but simply asking for additional support because she is going to college may not result in the judge granting it
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!