Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I would like to add my daugters name to the deed of my house.

Customer Question

I would like to add my daugters name to the deed of my house. What is involved?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. This is a very simple process. All you will need to do is have a local lawyer draw up a deed from you to you and your daughter, and then file the deed at the court house with the land records clerk. The only real question is how you want to jointly own the property. You can own it together as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, which means that whoever outlives the other will become 100% owner; you can own it as tenants in common, which means that each of you owns 50% and when either of you pass away, your interest goes to your heirs at law or pursuant to your will (it doesn't automatically transfer to the joint owner); or you could own a life estate, which is where you deed the property to your daughter, but reserve a life estate that gives you the right to live at the property for the remainder of your life (this is often used as a tool to avoid probate). Once you decide that issue, it's really a simple procedure.