How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26811
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a non custodial parent that follows the terms of our decree

Customer Question

I'm a non custodial parent that follows the terms of our decree to the letter. However, I have a 16 yr old daughter that I'm afraid is out of control.
she has spent a week in a mental health facility; and because she threatens to kill herself and my ex is afraid of what she may do, she now has no rules to follow at moms house. I have 1 older (17yrs) daughter and 1 younger (13yrs) son. Their mom and I are finally on good terms after 10 yrs. My problem is My daughter has started beating up my youngest child. she has left marks and bruises an him and he no longer wants to return home. My oldest daughter is moving in with me as soon as she graduates in 6 weeks.
My question is how do I protect my son? Do I have to return him if I pick him up and there are marks on him? how do I get him out of that environment and where he is safe?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You always need to act in the best interest of your child. As such, if you want to remove him from that environment, you would need to file a motion with the court and modify custody, showing the Judge that it is not in his best interest to live there as he is in a harmful and dangerous environment. Moreover, if there is an immediate danger, then you could have good cause to withhold returning him, until your Ex is able to properly protect him from his sister.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions