Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I am a 57 year old with a 17 year-old daughter (turns 18 in

Customer Question

I am a 57 year old with a 17 year-old daughter (turns 18 in August and will be going to college), looking for a divorce. We have been separated for 2 years, as a result of his increasing verbal abuse and treatment of our daughter and bought a house on my own (he is renting). He has his own art business (Japanese woodblock prints), which he built while I was (mostly) supporting us during our 17-year marriage.
I left a job right before the financial crash, and for the next several years drained the majority of my 401k accounts to support us, while he continued to build his business. I now have a very large tax liability and am working with a company to attempt to come to some resolution where I will hopefully end up owing only a portion of the total amount (close to $100K).
Over the past two years I have been consulting and had to drain the remainder of my 401Ks as well as the equity in my life insurance. During this time, Peter had paid half of Emma's tuition (she is ADHD and required a smaller, private school), and has recently been paying half of her health insurance, with me absorbing all other expenses.
While I am eager just to file a quickie divorce, my father (who will help with legal expenses), is adamant that I not just walk away, given the extreme emotional duress I have suffered due to trying to survive financially..and feels that we need a forensic account to determine the value of his inventory (much of which he bought under the table with cash from a dealer up in New Haven, CT)--at one point (a few years ago), he estimated that it was valued at $250K, yet his tax accountant always seems to show minimal income from the business...
At the end of the day I need counsel to determine a recommendation as to how to proceed and what I should expect, process-wise, time-frames and expected financial outlay.
Appreciate any and all responses.
Karen E.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
Karen, Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.I think dad is right - any time you need to "follow the money" or follow any asset trail a forensic accountant is a good idea. I wish I could tell you how long your divorce but if I did I would be lying - if anyone did they'd be lying. Some divorces are wrapped up in a few months - but not ones that involve one partner hiding resources. I suspect it would be a year at the minimum. As for expected financial outlay, again, it depends. It depends on how much you fight him and how much he fights you and how much your attorney charges and how much any other expert you hire (like a forensic accountant) charges. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra but it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you tell me how the process would work if we were to work together? Where are you located?
I am in New York and I would love to work with you but we're not allowed to establish professional relationships with clients of the site. I can, however, recommend someone if you're not sure where to begin. An alternative is to contact the NY State Bar and ask for family attorneys in your area; they'd give you names as well. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra but it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well :)
As for how the process would work, you would first need to file for divorce (prepare a Complaint), serve it on your ex, and then he would file an Answer.
Hello. I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.