Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.

I'm trying to see what i can do about this old case that i

Customer Question

I'm trying to see what i can do about this old case that i did time and i was renewing my passport and they said i had a warrant for my arrest, the Case is close and i did the time for it in Dawson county jail I need this close too what i need to do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, The only way to lift a warrant is to go back before the court that issued it and deal with the case. This sounds like it is a mistake of some sort, and if you bring documentation with you that you did your time for the case and that the case is closed, you should be able to resolve this. All the same, it's best to come in with a lawyer. You might try the lawyer who handled the case with you in the first place, as he's still the attorney of record on the case. Sometimes, the public defender's office will make an exception for a person in an emergency situation, even when there is no pending case. A warrant situation usually qualifies as an emergency. If they won't help you out, however, you'd need to retain private counsel. It should be relatively inexpensive since the case is already closed and all he would have to do is check into the matter to make sure there are no surprises, stand up with you on the matter in court, and make an argument to quash the warrant.