How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2922
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son will turn 17 in June and he wants to live with is dad.

Customer Question

My son will turn 17 in June and he wants to live with is dad. We do have a child custody agreement through the court of tazewell county Illinois. Can I just get the custody agreement dropped
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you have an order in place from the Judge, the Judge would have to confirm this custody agreement and validate it. You would need to get a joint motion filed that would transfer custody to your ex husband and any other agreements the two of you would want to put in place. You could do this together and without an attorney but it might be best if both of you agree to use 1 attorney together to save money. This is a pretty easy process if you both agree. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't want to switch custody I want to drop it and the child support to
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is old enough to make is own decision s
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We were never married
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
If there is an order in place, you cannot simply drop custody and just because your son wants to live with his father, doesn't mean that you drop all of your obligations. You as a parent are obligated to support your child and if the court ordrs it you will have to pay it. You cannot simply say it is your son's decision.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Related Family Law Questions