Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

My brother is in jail until late 2017, and the mother has passed

Customer Question

My brother is in jail until late 2017, and the mother has passed on and the people who have the boys now are trying to take away my brothers parenting rights, is it possible? Or does he still have a say as to where he wants his boys to stay?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Mo
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.What is your brother in jail for?Was your brother parenting rights restricted or reviewed by the court before or during his incarceration?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is jail for manslaughter, and no no parenting rights were reviewed .
Thank you for your follow up.Unfortunately, someone who is incarcerated (especially for a major violent felony), would generally not have much input into what happens to the minor children when custodial parent dies and the only option would be for the incarcerated person to hire an experienced local child custody attorney to represent him in any child custody / termination of parental rights proceedings.I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Please let me know ifyou have any related follow up questions?If not, pleasepositively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.