P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My wife has my car which is in my name and the payments are

Customer Question

Hi my wife has my car which is in my name and the payments are in my name. She won't give me the car keys,can I just call the police do you think they will help me? Many thanks
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: The car is outside our house she just won't give me the keys, we've been married for almost 8 years but are going to get divorced soon.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help
Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for this dilemma. You can certainly ask the police to help. However, the police have "discretion". This means that they are not required to take any particular case...they can refuse to investigate/prosecute a case.And I fear that what you are describing, they police will tell you that you need to use the civil courts system to resolve this.And if you are married? IF the goal is to recover the car? Likely you are going to need to file for divorcePlease let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
even if the car is in my name and im paying for it i cant get the cars keys whichntechnically belong to me?? By the way we live in britain
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We haven't put any papers for divorce yet, does this make any difference?
Ahh...not sure why but this was sent to US law...I will send a not to have it forwarded to a UK law