Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I live in income based apts.....they told me i had to go and

Customer Question

i live in income based apts.....they told me i had to go and do signing of papers to continue living here...i go..i ask for copies to read first..i get told it is just the stuff needed for the financial help...i get told i can sign or move out..i asked while signing for copies...i was not given copies...what do i do, i dont want to piss people off and be homeless..but i am tired of the constant abuse..people break in my apt and sooo much more all the time..i have no privacy and no respect...but..i dont want to be homeless
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, you do have to sign them if they are required for the financial assistance or for the lease, but legally they also must give you a copy of anything that you signed. If they are refusing to give you copies of what you signed, then you need to go back to the office and ask them for copies. If they refuse to provide copies, then you need to contact the local housing and urban development office and ask them for copies, since the landlord has to send the forms into them for their records.