Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

On 2-3-16 the kids were at their mothers house getting ready

Customer Question

on 2-3-16 the kids were at their mothers house getting ready to come back to their Fathers house. While the kids were getting ready their mother said on the following week end when she gets them back their going to Indianapolis for their aunts wedding a(lesbian wedding). Now they just made their Confession,Communion and Confermation a couple of weeks ago, and have been taught right from wrong, They do know that what their aunt does is wrong, they have nothing against her at all and neither do we, but she does or has been with a lot of women and the kids have seen her with a lot of women and they know it's wrong. This is their Catholic Faith. The olest girl is 14 almost 15 and plays on a travling basketball team and has a game that night. We saw her crying in her room, and said she doesn't want to go to the wedding cause she has a game, but her mother said she has to go to the wedding cause it's her aunt, as, and if she doesn't go her aunt will hate her and so will her grandmother. Now she's confused, torn between her faith and what is not her faith. even the 12 yr. old is confused and she acts like she is 16. The question is what can these kids do that they don't want to hurt their mom's feelings? My son, who is their Father said he is willing to switch week ends even give her 2 week ends in a row if possible. But hes afarid that she will want to take him to court saying he's racist against Lesbians. What can he do. She's still trying a way to get the kids back, I need some input.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Generally, children do not have the right to decide issues of visitation and they can't decide whether or not to go with the parent who has visitation. Instead, they must do what their parents direct.......and the parents have to follow the court's order UNLESS they mutually agree to a different arrangement.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
So, the first line of action would be to consult the mother, discuss the issues, and see if you can reach an accord on this issue. IF that doesn't happen, your only option would be to file a motion with the court for a temporary modification of the visitation order and gain visitation of the children for the weekend in question. You can maintain that your reason for this request is that one has a ballgame and the other disapproves of the wedding........
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Gay/lesbian people currently aren't a protected class, so there's no discrimination.....and you have your freedom of religion and the right to disapprove and not want your child to be a part of something like this. Although it's not politically correct these days, it's still your right as a parent to make a request like this to the court.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!