Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Do they take child support out of social security benefits

Customer Question

do they take child support out of social security benefits even if my kids are ages 42,40,40,and 38.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm assuming that this is for arrears (child support accrued but not paid when the children were under 18)? That is, you're not still actually accruing child support for these kids, correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they said I owed like35,000 then with interest it got to over100,000 just the last 3 years alone I have paid around 30,000 she has gotten all my income tax money for long time,also before they began taking out money I would send her money but I had no receipts,also I was in military up until 1990 and child support was t iahen ouautomaticallyis there any way to get a waiver or something
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know what you are asking
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where is your answer
Apologies for the delay. The system didn't inform me that there was a response until this morning. That almost never happens. Can you tell me when the child support order was entered by the court? How long have they been taking money? You said that they said that you owed $35,000, so that's likely the arrears. The reason is that child support terminates at age 18, or if the child is still in high school, at graduation or 19, whichever occurs first. But if there's unpaid child support that accrued when it should have been paid, that will still be owed...
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 7 months ago.
I see that you have not responded for some time. Did you wish to continue with this question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No thank you no more questions