Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My sister committed suicide and she had 2 sons one is 17 and

Customer Question

My sister committed suicide and she had 2 sons one is 17 and a junior in high school the other one is 19 and a freshmen in college. I have obtained legal cystody of the 17 year old but for insurance i must have legal custody of the 19 year old . how do i do that
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No thank you
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. You cannot get legal custody of the 19 year old. This is because once the child turns 18, legal custody ends. At this point, the Court cannot enforce legal custody as the child is an adult, and can live with whomever they want. If your insurance mandates that you be the legal custodian of the 19 year old, I am afraid that there is simply no way to achieve this, since once the child turns 18, no custody matters can be filed. I am afraid that you are not likely to find anyone else to tell you otherwise. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.