LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

Getting Divorce after 20 plus years of Marriage. We live in

Customer Question

Getting Divorce after 20 plus years of Marriage. We live in Colorado. I am 63 years old. I am retired and receive a retirement pension, plus I work construction to help make ends meet. My wife is a principal of an elementary school and makes little more than me. She has a car loan of about 28,000 and credit card debt 15,000. I have a camper trailer debt of 28,000. Can I get any maintenance from her.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.
Yes, the higher earning spouse can be ordered to pay maintenance to the lower earning spouse. Generally retirement is considered a legitimate reason for not working; so the court generally won't impute income in that case,but they will take into account the pension along with any earned income. This calculator is provided by the state and can give an estimate of what to expect:http://www.familylawsoftware.com/download_client_edition_co.html
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What do you mean the court generally won't impute income in that case
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will the judge use my retirement and my income from my construction in considering maintenance?
The judge has the authority to impute (assign) income to a party that is voluntarily un/underemployed- but they usually won't do that if a person is of typical retirement age. Yes, the court will consider each party's income-whether it's from a pension, a side job, full time employment, etc.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly--- Rate Positively---so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!