Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

Can you please tell me what the rules are support in

Customer Question

Hello- Can you please tell me what the rules are for child support in Massachusetts? I am employed full time. My husband is not - he is retired and receives a military pension and a VA pension. I willl have my son most of the school year. Is it caculated by percentage? Can his pension be used to pay child support? Please advise.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Massachusetts defines income for child support purposes as "gross income from whatever source regardless of whether that income is recognized by the Internal Revenue Code or reported to the Internal Revenue Service or state Department of Revenue or other taxing authority." That means they include veteran's benefits, military benefits, pensions, retirement income - everything. If he were getting disability or Social Security, they'd count that, too. Here is a link to the guidelines, if you want to take a look.

The calculator looks at your husband's income as a percentage of your combined incomes and calculates support based on those figures. This worksheet should help you figure out about how much you might be ordered to pay.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.