LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am a grandmother who has joint custody and custodial custody

Customer Question

I am a grandmother who has joint custody and custodial custody of my granddaughter. My question is she is getting ready for college and who pays or can she go independent
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. Are either of the parents living and earning a living?2. Are you being paid child support by either of the parents?3. Who has custody with you?Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Hi,I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.Doug
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The father is living. No he's not working at this time.
No no support
The
Her father has joint custody with me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She lives with her grandfather and myself. But he doesn't have custody only me and her father
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon, Thanks for the clarification. She should have little problem applying for government guaranteed student loans given the lack of income of her father, and no mother in the picture. Because the law does not require your grandchild to declare the income and assets that you have when seeking college aid, basically she is on her own as far as paying for college is concerned. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug