Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
17831645

How do I file contempt charges against my ex-wife? What

Customer Question

How do I file contempt charges against my ex-wife? What forms do I use if i wish to file the contempts myself?Thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amber E. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, thank you for your question.Contempt proceedings are typically initiated by the filing of what we call a petition for contempt (sometimes it is referred to as a motion for contempt).Courts generally have their own forms, one need only contact the clerk of court to get one.However, if the court does not have forms, there are form books in the legal section of the library.In both cases, the contempt packet of forms includes instructions. But the process for filing anything is pretty uniform, the documents are signed where indicated and taken to the court, the filing fee is paid and the case is set before a judge for a hearing. The other party is served so that they get an opportunity to respond and explain themselves.Attorneys may also be hired for the limited purpose of drafting the contempt documents, which is less expensive than full representation. Sometimes an attorney may be necessary if the accusations are particularly complex.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Amber E. replied 8 months ago.
You're very welcome!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I rate you. I have no further questions
Expert:  Amber E. replied 8 months ago.
Let me try this and see if the rating system pops up, just a moment.
Expert:  Amber E. replied 8 months ago.
You should see it now. Thanks.