LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am adopting my grandson from the state of MA, he has been

Customer Question

I am adopting my grandson from the state of MA, he has been diagnosed with PTSD and Bipolar, will I be solely responsible for his support and medical bills if I adopt?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. While it is a loving and honorable thing that you are considering, adoption makes you the legal parent of your adopted child and you are then responsible for all medical expenses as well as the day to day living expenses of your grandchild. If you are receiving social security retirement or disability benefits now, your adopted child will be eligible for a social security benefit as well, and that could defray the expenses of raising this child who will need medication and probably to be followed by a physician on a regular basis for the remainder of this child's life. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug