How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11699
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Illinois and have been paying my ex-wife between

Customer Question

I live in Illinois and have been paying my ex-wife between $105,000 and $118,000 "unallocated" family support over the past five years. The paid support is for the purpose of providing alimony to my ex-wife as well as child support for our daughter. Our daughter will be graduating from high school and starting college in 2017. I do not think that my ex-wife has saved any money to put towards our daughter's college. However, I have saved about $18,000 in a 529 account that is for her benefit. The divorce decree states that my ex-wife and I "shall divide the post-high school educational expenses of the child pursuant to Section 513 of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution Marriage Act according to their respective financial abilities". The decree also states that "Post high-school education expenses shall include but are not limited to tuition, application fees,room and board, books, reasonable clothing, fees and assessments, allowances, lab fees, activity fees, standardized tests, tutors, equipment, fraternity/sorority dues and reasonable transportation if the child attends school away from home to travel home."
I want to know how much (in dollars - closest estimate) am I legally responsible for and how much will my ex-wife be legally responsible for when contributing towards our daughters college - assuming our daughter is pursuing a four year undergraduate degree. I work full time and my ex-wife has not worked over the past years (while I have been paying her alimony) - but she is certainly capable of working and has an associates degree.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I am unclear, however, what you need exactly. When you say how much - are you talking over a 4 year period? Are you talking yearly? What is it exactly you are needing information for?