How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29312
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a small settlement after a car accident does

Customer Question

I received a small settlement after a car accident does Tony still have to pay spousal support
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A settlement from a car accident should not terminate spousal support unless it's enough for you to live on. Your former spouse would have to file a Motion to Terminate Spousal Support and show the judge that you have enough to live on going forward. You don't automatically lose support just for getting a settlement from a car accident. If he just stops paying, you can file an Order to Show Cause and Affidavit for Contempt, asking the judge to penalize him for not paying.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.