Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I am an AMERICAN citizen, divorced in1994,my ex wife is a permanent

Customer Question

I am an AMERICAN citizen, divorced in1994,my ex wife is a permanent citizen of America. We owned a property in India prior to divorce .Can my
ex wife claim her share in the property in India? If yes, what should she do
and where should she file the case ? I have no problem in giving her the share.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Foreign property is largely handled the same as domestic property, that is, property acquired during the marriage or paid for with community funds are subject to division during the divorce. For you, that means that the divorce judge in Illinois will consider the property in India when dividing up the assets. However, since you were divorced in 1994, it is too late to now go back and divide up that property. It should have been divided up at the time of the divorce, and unless there was some fraud in concealing it at that time, it's too late to now go back and divide it up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am satisfied with the answer and will recommend to others.
Victor
Thanks. If you don't mind, please use the set of stars at the top to complete the rating process.