Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I live in Georgia and want to add my husbands name do our

Customer Question

I live in Georgia and want to add my husbands name do our daughters birth certificate. We were married and still are at the time of birth, but he filled out the paper work and forgot to sign. She is getting ready to start school what do we need to do to add his name to her birth certificate.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. Since we can't offer legal advice or give advice on your situation specifically, I'll be commenting about the general legal rules regarding issues LIKE yours.

The Georgia Department of Health gives these instructions on how to modify a birth certificate:

How can I make a correction to a birth certificate?

Obtain a certified copy of the birth certificate from the state vital records office. Circle all changes you wish to make, submit a written request to be provided instructions/procedures for the desired changes. An additional fee of $10 will be required to make the change. Request should be mailed to Special Services, Vital Records,***** NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30319. No information will be provided by telephone for instructions/procedures for change. A review of the record must be made to provide proper instructions/procedures for your individual certificate.

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its just as simple as writing in and asking them to add him, do we need to do a dna test or is that presumed as we are married?

As stated above, once you write in with the suggested changes, they will respond with "instructions/procedures for the desired change". Each Department of Health has their own procedures on modifying a birth certificate, and it's possible they could require a DNA test, but it's not likely.

Michael