Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

If my divorce decree States that my ex-husband has to pay me

Customer Question

If my divorce decree States that my ex-husband has to pay me alimony as long as I am working or until he retires, is this legal? I am no longer working because of an accident and he wants to stop alimony. Some has told me he has to pay alimony until my death.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.

It is unusual to have an alimony clause that states that the ex-spouse pays alimony ONLY WHILE the other isn't working. Even if he "wants" to stop paying alimony, he's not permitted to unless the court grants him the right to stop paying alimony which is generally only done for "change of circumstances" (meaning, for example, the party receiving alimony remarries, the person making payments retires and/or makes substantially less than he or she used to through no fault of their own, etc.). You would be able to challenge any motion he files to terminate or decrease alimony. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.