originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

I recently went through a divorce. While we were separated

Customer Question

I recently went through a divorce. While we were separated my husband moved out of the house but paid the mortgage and utilities while my daughter and I lived there. I was told I was on the deed but not the mortgage even though there is some confusion now which is correct. Anyway, this was not addressed in my divorce settlement under alimony but now my ex says he is going to claim half of the mortgage and utilities as alimony. Can he do this? Also our agreement was not signed until April but he says we had a verbal agreement which he never told me in this verbal agreement he was using it against me as alimony. He wants to claim Jan-June. The agreement was signed in April . Can he do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 6 months ago.

No. If the decree does not address it, he cannot claim alimony payments. He would have needed to have that in the paperwork that was signed by the Judge. Verbal agreements are also not enforceable. So he is out of luck.