Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues

How can I get sole custody on my child if the judge 't even

Customer Question

How can I get sole custody on my child if the judge don't even reply to my motions for over a year? And my child lives not with me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 months ago.

Hello there --

You state that you have been filing motions with the court for sole custody of your child for over a year. Did you actually file the motion for custody with the court and then send copies of the motion to the custodial parent using a Sheriff or constable to legally serve this paperwork on the custodial parent at the custodial parent's home address or business address? Once there is a signed statement from the Sheriff or Constable on record in the family court case file then the court can actually set a HEARING date on the matter and the court will notify BOTH parties that a hearing date regarding custody has been set in the case. THen you both appear at court and each of you presents arguments to the court to try to support your positions and the court will issue a written decision within about 30-60 days after the hearing date.

So if you have actually filed the motion for sole custody paperwork and then you served copies of the paperwork on the custodial parent as required by the Rules of Civil Procedure, then the court should proceed to a hearing on the matter/

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you this morning. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating in the star rating section above (the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star are the positive ratings above). Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!