Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I'm in the process of getting a divorce. I served my

Customer Question

I'm in the process of getting a divorce. I served my spouse 30 days ago, and 5 days ago filed a Motion for Default as he has not filed a response. The day after I filed a Motion for Default he filed the original Petition for Dissolution with the Joinder signed, but still no Response.Can I still file for Default? If so, does this count as an appearance? If not, what are my options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago.

You should be able to proceed with the default. An appearance without the filing of a Response does not prevent a default, but it does require the other party to be given notice of the default hearing. The Court may require you to give notice of the default hearing.

Do you have any other questions?