Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am married little over 3 months, and moved into my

Customer Question

I am married for a little over 3 months, and moved into my husbands home. I also have lived here for approximately 10 months prior to our marriage. My husband has become angry and resentful, he barely speaks to me, and when he does, he throws my flaws in my face and makes me badly about myself. He told me today, not to come back to his house, and that he will have the locks changed. I need to understand what my rights are, and I also want to try and help him with whatever is happening with him, and try to figure it out and stay together.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He can eventually force you to leave his home, but not while it is the marital home and as long as you are married. Yes, the house is his separate property and in case of a divorce you would have to leave the home. Before you are divorced, it is the marital home and he cannot force you from the marital home without a court order, which means he has to file a petition for divorce and get a motion from the court for you to leave the home. If he simply changes the locks and does nothing more, you still have a right to enter the home until he gets a court order, even if it was his house prior to marriage and it will be his house after marriage.