Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

If i tell my therapist that i sexually abused a child over

Customer Question

if i tell my therapist that i sexually abused a child over 30 years ago, does she have to report it, and if so what could happen to me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

does she have to report it,

.

Yes, she is required under NH Code Section 169-C:3, 169-C:29, et seq. to report it.

.

Under the law, any physician, surgeon, county medical examiner, psychiatrist, resident, intern, dentist, osteopath, optometrist, chiropractor, psychologist, therapist, registered nurse, hospital personnel (engaged in admission, examination, care and treatment of persons), Christian Science practitioner, teacher, school official, school nurse, school counselor, social worker, day care worker, any other child or foster care worker, law enforcement official, priest, minister, or rabbi or any other person having reason to suspect that a child has been abused or neglected shall report the same in accordance with this chapter.

.

and if so what could happen to me?

.

This will depend on how old the child was at the time of the incident. NH has a statute of limitations of 22 years after the child turns 18 for any criminal prosecution. So if the child is over 40 now, then the time limit has run for any prosecution.

.

With that said, if you choose to disclose this, it would not be in your best interests to divulge enough information so that the victim could be identified..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks for your reply. can i be held responsible if i am mentally ill?

You are welcome.

.

can i be held responsible if i am mentally ill?

.

Potentially, you would have to be declared mentally incompetent prior to any trial or if it went to trial, guilty but mentally ill by a jury to avoid any criminal penalties if the statute of limitations hasn't expired.

.

.

thanks