Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

A couple that we are friends with are going to let their

Customer Question

A couple that we are friends with are going to let their adopted daughter spend 2 - 3 weeks with another family that they know to get a break or respite. The family that their daughter will be staying with is in another state, so are there any laws that would require them to give guardianship or power of attorney to the family while they are caring for their daughter? Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello there --

-

There are no laws which look at this short amount of time as any more than a vacation for the daughter. So long as the daughter will not be attending school in the other state and this is not a long term arrangement for her to live there, then getting into legal documentation is not required. The parents should give the daughter her medical card in the event something happens while she is in the other state and make sure they are available by telephone in the event that something happens and their permission might be needed for medical treatment.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time today. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating before leaving the website. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

mary