Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

If not said in custody papers how much time parents share

Customer Question

For custody, if not said in custody papers how much time parents share for holidays how much time would be reasonable for both parents to split the day?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hi Molly. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating. A 50/50 split of time is reasonable - equal number of days spent during the school year and during vacation time, but that's not always the way it works. Sometimes parents simply aren't able to spend that much time with their children (whether due to work or other obligations) and sometimes circumstances dictate that one parent have primary residential custody and therefore more time with the children. If you need me to clarify anything, please don't hesitate to ask. And please remember to rate your assistance once you're happy with the response to your question.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I mean how many hours for holidays? I have full physical custody of our son. He has visitation.

It basically depends on how many you both agree to. Even if you have full physical custody, you would typically equally share holidays... and the type of schedule is based on what you both want - so you can say you get Christmas even years and he gets Christmas odd years, and you get Spring Break odd years and he gets Spring Break even years. But, largely, courts really like to let parents decide for themselves if they are able to work it out. Does that make sense? If you have specific suggestions I can tell you if I think it is something a court may agree to...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has always been 9-1 and he wants to share every holiday. He refuses to switch off year to year. Which in our court papers it says we share them but it doesn'tg ive us a time frame. So he is now saying unless I follow his schedule and not get to pick our son up until he says then he is not letting me have our son.

I need you to clarify this: "now saying unless I follow his schedule and not get to pick our son up until he says then he is not letting me have our son." He's saying unless you to agree to share every holiday he won't return your son to you?

Also, just some additional clarification I'll need you to provide me with: what is 9-1. You get your son for 9 days and he gets him for 1 day??

Hello! I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.