Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

If a divorce was granted in Essex court in 1995 and both

Customer Question

If a divorce was granted in Essex court in 1995 and both parties now live outside of Mass. does the court of record still have jurisdiction of the case and over the parties....??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No. If both parties now live outside of the state, the state no longer has jurisdiction over the matter. Depending on what is being enforced/modified, either the jurisdiction of the Petitioner or the Respondent must be used to file. For example, for purposes of modifying child custody, one files where the child lives. For purposes of modifying alimony, one files (generally) where the Respondent lives.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.