Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

Son in altercation at work. He was provoked, pushed and

Customer Question

Son in altercation at work. He was provoked, pushed and prevented from leaving the heated argument. My son stuck back. Hitting the other man in the face. The police were called and a misdemeanor assault charge was issued on my son. He has a court date of 3/29/2016. In Laquna Beach court system. What can he expect at the first hearing? What is a possible scenario that can occur? Should he obtain a lawyer now or wait till after the 3/29/2016 hearing?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. While your son does not HAVE TO hire an attorney, it would be advantageous to hire one if you can afford it. If this is his first time getting into trouble he may be eligible for a first-time-offender's program, and getting into one of the is A LOT easier when you have an attorney to negotiate on your behalf. And certainly the sooner you get an attorney the more time you give that attorney to get up to speed. If you received a complaint, you'll also have received a summons; the two will tell you when you need to present for an initial appearance (the arraignment). The initial appearance is for the court to inform you of your rights, to inform you of the charges against you, to find out if you want an atty, and to find out if you want to plead guilty or not guilty. If you're not sure how to plead, ask the judge to reschedule your initial appearance for another day so you can talk to a lawyer first. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well. I know you only asked for information on that first appearance, but are you interested in finding out what happens AFTER that first hearing?

Hello! I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.